JUNIOR GROWER FARM MANAGER – HORTICULTURE
East London Area – EC: To support the Head Grower through the completion of tasks, labour management, measurement and documentation of plant growth and scouting for disease.
The successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring and documentation of plant growth, scouting for disease, directing and scheduling labour activities and completion of all tasks as required by the Grower. Irrigation scheduling and fertilizer mixing.
Ensuring adequate stock of crop requisites are ordered timeously. Maintaining the facilities in a sound and working condition
PLEASE NOTE: this position is for a single person due to accommodation
- Horticultural Degree/diploma
- Computer literacy
- Time management
- Quality Systems
- 2-3 years in an assistant grower and management role
- Agricultural growing exposure an advantage
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Being maintenance orientated
- Attention to detail
- Efficient work practices
- Time Management
- The ability to speak Xhosa/Zulu advantageous
- The ability to process and manage administration in line with specific systems and structures
- The ability to work in a team
- Proactive initiative
- Excellent interact ional and communication skills
Duties and responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- In conjunction with the Head Grower, ensures consistent growing conditions including irrigation and temperatures within specific target zones are maintained
- Correctly measures plant growth and records findings in line with company policy and procedure.
- Directs and schedules the activities of labourers together with the operations supervisor and gives ongoing feedback to the Head Grower & Operations Supervisor.
- Communicates and advises the Head Grower and Operations supervisor on current conditions and trends in crop, pest, and disease conditions
- Assists with problem solving activities
- One of the designated staff sharing 24/7 on-call responsibility including assigned weekend visits for ongoing management and adjustment of all crop related climate and irrigation systems.
- Ensuring adequate levels and records of stock requisites.
- Provides ongoing crop work quality monitoring including observing, recording and providing feedback.
- Ensures that monitoring for pests and diseases is carried out consistently.
- Monitors application and distribution of biological’s used in pest and disease control.
- Completes all testing of new materials and reports on results to Head Grower
- Assists Production Supervisors and labourers in pesticide application while conforming with all relevant legislation and standards.
- Assists with pollination and technical trials by daily or regular monitoring and recording of results
- Under the direction of the Head Grower, manages variety trials including data collection and report preparation.
- Ensures that the facility and equipment function effectively by regularly reviewing the climate control computer , as well as by daily physical inspection.
- Responsible for forecasting crop production, in conjunction with the Head Grower and Operations supervisor, and ensures that MD are informed weekly.
- Performs other duties as required by the Head Grower
- Maintain facilities in sound working condition and free of weeds and plastic.
- ONLY short-listed candidates will be contacted
To apply CLICK THIS LINK and upload your CV https://webapp.placementpartner.com/wi/vacancy/?id=farm&VacRef=FM000903&preview=09641122e9a8f7bdaa77cb86990c02d8