Nelspruit – Mpumalanga: If you are an avocado expert, passionate about sharing your knowledge and skills with our Grower Partners and have the utmost care and concern for their growth and success, then this position is for you
The focus of the Horticultural Advisor is to implement the functions of the Technical department in line with business strategy to maintain and develop current and new grower relations with Company Grower Partners through on farm engagement on all avocado production related matters.
The role requires sound knowledge of sustainable and innovative avocado production practices to meet ever changing demands and the ability to inspire world class farming practices. The incumbent will be required to successfully coordinate and implement all activities required of them and to support the Technical Manager in providing an exceptional grower-focused value proposition for the long term.
The Horticultural Advisor will ensure that all growers, both company farms and external growers, are supported in their endeavour to achieve optimal orchard productivity and marketable fruit that meets all compliance and customer standards.
A relevant agricultural or horticultural tertiary postgraduate qualification and 5 year’s work-place experience in the fields of soil science, plant science or horticultural science (with an emphasis on orchard crops).
- Excellent analytical skills related to the science of orchard crops applying appropriate attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (in both English and Afrikaans).
- Excellent interpersonal skills as this position requires engaging with different people in different settings.
- Advanced Computer Literacy – MS Office.
- An ability to implement scientifically sound on-farm research trials.
- Technical report writing skills (as per the format for a scientific paper).
- A willingness to learn and apply knowledge and deductive reasoning.
- An ability to plan ahead and approach tasks and projects in a proactive manner.
- An ability to multi-task and be flexible to changing scenarios.
- A valid driver’s licence. Confidence to drive long distances on tar-road and dirt-road and flexibility to travel as and when the business requires.
Key performance areas, including but not limited to:
Develop and maintain long term grower-based relations in key avocado production areas. The key focus area for this role is the Mpumalanga Province with expansion to other areas a possibility as and when the business requires.
- Provide sound technical advice on all avocado production related matters. (Knowledge of other subtropical crops will be an advantage).
- Support the implementation of sustainable farming practices.
- Coordinate relevant on-farm research trials as and when required.
- Organise and participate in grower training days (e.g. scout training) and study groups.
- Facilitate AvocademyR training courses when required.
- Stay up to date with key industry developments and innovations to influence best farming practices – sharing with team members through best practice workshops or other relevant platforms.
- Manage and regularly update all technical and grower databases.
- Assist with general tasks as required by the Technical Manager.
ONLY short-listed candidates will be contacted
To apply CLICK THIS LINK https://www.placementpartner.co.za/wi/vacancy/?id=farm&VacRef=FM000723&preview=8f11e44b33bd489938f0102b6b717779 or upload your CV to this specific position via www.farmmanagersa.co.za
UPLOAD CV >